Friday, November 9, 2012

Healthy Naan Bread

Healthy Naan Bread 
Healthy Low Carb Flat Bread

When you are watching your carbs and trying to eat a lot healthier, often you give up things you really like.  Bread and sweets are my two weaknesses, so I have found ways to have what I want but on a healthier note.  I have been making Naan bread with White All-Purpose flour for a while now. Since I have been researching low carbs and have learned about the healthier baking flours; I wanted to create a recipe for Naan Bread. I will admit, this recipe taste so much better than my recipe with regular white flour.  Because of the flax seed and the wheat bran the bread has a very delicious nutty flavor. Although this recipe is a little time consuming, it is truly delicious, filling, healthy and very much worth the time it takes to make.

First make your yeast mixture:

1/2 cup warm water
2.5 teaspoons of Active Dry Yeast
1 teaspoon sugar

Mix together with a whisk and set aside.

In a large bowl mix your dry ingredients together:

3/4 cup Almond Flour
3/4 cup Wheat Bran
1/2 cup Wheat Pastry Flour
1/2 cup White Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
1 teaspoon Flax Seed Meal  (this is used in place of oil)

Add the following to the yeast mixture: 

4 oz. Greek Plain Yogurt
1 teaspoon NO-Egg

Mix all of the ingredients together, and knead for just a few minutes.  If your dough is a little sticky, add a little more flour.  After kneading the dough, place in a covered container that has been sprayed with a cooking spray.  Allow to rise for 2-3 hours.

** Note** I place my covered containers in the oven to rise.  Make sure the oven is turned-OFF while doing this.  

After 2-3 hours knead the dough a few more minutes and divide the dough into 8 or more pieces depending on how big or small you want the Naan Bread.  Roll the pieces into a ball and place on a plate, cover and let rise for another 1.5 hours.

After 1.5 hours, Get a large frying and set it on your stove to get hot.  Dust your working space and begin to flatten out each dough ball (I like mine oval shaped but do whatever you want).  Very lightly spread a little butter over the rolled out disk and place in the hot fry pan.  Cook for 3 minutes, likely butter, turn and cook an additional 2 minutes.  Place the cooked naan bread on a dish and cover with a towel while you cook the remaining dough.  By covering the Naan bread it helps it to stay soft and flexible.

If you do 8 Naan Breads which are fairly big, it will be 17 carbs and 142 calories.  If you cut them in half, it will be 8.5 carbs and 71 calories.

To see more of my recipes please visit:  







5 comments:

Dawn Gagnon said...

Eva I am so excited to try this out!!! I can't wait to get some yeast and give it a go!! If it is a winner, and I know it is, I will be making it often :)

Eva Thomas said...

I purchase my yeast online at a very good price. I get it here: http://www.vitacost.com/bobs-red-mill-active-dry-yeast-gluten-free

I am a huge fan of Naan Bread, it feeds my bread addiction :-)

Dawn Gagnon said...

Yumola, can't wait to try..and thank you for the link :)

Dawn Gagnon said...

Oh and please tell us more about No Egg because this is the first time I have heard of it? Thanks :)

Eva Thomas said...

No-EGG is a fantastic new product I purchased to replace real eggs. It is gluten and wheat free, it is certified vegan and kosher. It is also, lactose free & cholesterol free. It is a great egg substitute and it is something I am planning on keeping in my pantry.

Search This Blog Here

Infolinks In Text Ads