|English: Strawberry jam on a plate. Português: Doce de morango. Svenska: Jordgubbsmarmelad. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
This is a great gift for those watching the carb intake and for the holidays.
- 6 cups chopped, diced or frozen fruit
- 1 envelope unflavored jello
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 teaspoons sweetener (do a taste test after adding 2 tsp)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add a little water and simmer fruit until well softened. fruit to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until fruit content is reduced to about 2 cups, if you are using frozen fruit simmer for 35 to 40 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix gelatin with vanilla and 2 tablespoons of the hot fruit, stirring until gelatin is dissolved. Stir into remaining fruit, mixing well. Stir in sweetener to taste. Pour into clean decorative canning jars, and chill in the refrigerator for around 4 hours until ready to use.
Tip: Play around with various frozen fruits and combinations to come up with unique and special fruit spreads. The possibilities are endless.